Vinegar is a common household item with versatile benefits ranging beyond the kitchen! Though a staple in some salad dressings and sauces, mixing vinegar with water in place of Windex is an environmentally friendly way to clean your window panes and mirrors!
Aside from adding flavor to recipes and keeping glass spotless, both apple and white vinegar have several other impressive health benefits! Caregivers, if you are looking for innovative, fresh new ways to use regular household items, here are some pointers to get your on your way!
- Improves Insulin Sensitivity ~ Vinegar is strongly acidic and research from the American Diabetics Association revealed that acid reduces the body's postprandial response to meals heavy in starches. Effects from ingestion were similar to taking a Type II oral Diabetic medication like Metformin. So the next time you eat a salad, try mixing a little vinegar in with your dressing!
- Eliminates Foot Odors ~ Simply put, acid kills bacteria. And sometimes stinky feet are the result of unwanted odor-causing bacteria. Try soaking your feet in a warm bath with relaxing salts, a splash of vinegar and a drop or two of your favorite essential oil!
- Cleans Dentures ~ No different from your teeth, dentures need appropriate care and cleaning! Vinegar mixed with baking soda and warm water is an alternative method to clean teeth or dentures, eliminating stains to keep smiles looking fresh, white and clean!
- Weight Loss Aid ~ Acid helps to digest starches and improves the body's response to insulin release after consuming a big meal! Though be careful: vinegar is acidic and can cause tooth erosion and damage soft tissue, like the esophagus. Make sure to dilute it with water before ingesting it!
- Soothes Sore Throats ~ When consuming vinegar, it's important to mix it with hot or cold water! This is especially vital if drinking it for soothing properties! If you shoot vinegar straight as if you were taking a shot of liquor, you could further irritate an inflamed voice box!
- Better Breakfast ~ The next time you boil some water for eggs, add a little vinegar! If a shell cracks while boiling, the acid in the water helps the exposed egg white to coagulate faster.
- Deodorize Dishes ~ Vinegar eats away odor-causing bacteria, so try adding some to your dishwater or the next time you run your dishwasher!
Vinegar is a common household item used for everything from cleaning the house, to cooking healthy meals, and even has the same qualities as some oral diabetic medications! Talk about diversity for such a simple solution! For caregivers looking to stretch their home’s resources, vinegar could be the very thing they’ve been after!
At Caring Senior Service, our expert staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and trusted professionals who take pride in helping your loved one manage their daily activities. Contact us today to learn more!